Monday, October 3, 2011

I Got My Groove Back

October arrived on our doorsteps with the gift of cooler weather. While I am a summer girl at heart there is just something about fall. I love the cool weather that enables me to walk out to my vehicle, buckle my child into her car seat, and get in myself without breaking into a sweat and ruining my freshly applied makeup and without making my hair frizz out especially after I spent so much time straightening it out. I love that Starbucks brings back it's Pumpkin Spice Latte (even though I haven't had one yet). I have fond memories of fall. I was pregnant with Abigail in the fall (she was born in November). I remember going on my lunch break at work, stopping off at Starbucks for a skinny caramel macchiato and then heading over to the nail salon for a pedicure. I would relax in the chair, sip my drink, and think about what it was going to be like to hold my baby for the first time. I love scarves, pumpkins, fall colors, hayrides, bonfires, college football, Halloween, Abigail's birthday, and Thanksgiving.

The arrival of October meant the end of September and I couldn't help feeling a little sad this year. Why you ask? The passing of September meant that I was out of time to meet my first weight loss goal. Most of you know that my initial goal was to lose 30 pounds by September. When I realized that it wasn't going to happen by the first of September, I tweaked it a bit and reset the goal for the end of September. You may also know that I struggled for most of September. I was off my game. I didn't exercise enough. I made poor food choices. I went to bed late. I didn't take my own advice. It took me awhile to get my groove back.

However, in the last week, my groove returned. I've had a renewed vigor when it comes to exercising and eating right. I took a spin class, used the elliptical, went for long walks, and ran on the treadmill. I cooked healthy meals, ate nutritious snacks, and increased my water intake. I've added back dark chocolate to my life and it has made a huge difference. I noticed before that my daily intake of dark chocolate seemed to help me control cravings for unhealthy food in my life. I really struggled with food cravings the whole month that I had stopped eating the dark chocolate every night. Once I resumed eating it, my cravings decreased greatly to the point they are pretty much non-existent now. I have three dark chocolate Hershey Kisses every night before bed. It's definitely something to look forward to every day. I love chocolate!

So, how has my last week changed me? Well, for the first time in over a month, I've lost weight again. I lost a pound!!! That is pretty consistent with my weight loss over the last several months. Most weeks I lose between 1-2 pounds and then I usually have one really good week where I may lose up to 4 pounds.

I also have a new goal. I still have 6 pounds to lose before reaching my 30 pounds down goal. It may be a stretch but I am hoping to lose those 6 pounds plus 6 more pounds by Thanksgiving.  There are only 7 weeks until Thanksgiving. That averages out to a little less than two pounds a week. I may not be able to do it but I'm going to try my hardest. I need you to keep me accountable and encourage me. You don't realize how much that actually helps!

Happy Fall Y'all!

Peace, Love, and Healthy Living,

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment