Thursday, October 27, 2011

It's My Blog and I'll Rant If I Want To

I normally use my blog as a vehicle to talk about my weight loss journey, family matters, and topics close to my heart. I rarely ever use it to rant. Be forewarned, this blog is a rant. If you don't want to read my rantings now is the time to turn back.

I have several pet peeves. We all have them. Pet peeves are simply behaviors by other people that bug us. Something that bothers me may not bother you and vice versa. But here are a few of mine...

My number one pet peeve is people who drive in the fast lane but go slow. I saw a picture on Pinterest the other day. The picture was of a person who was stuck driving in the right lane because someone was holding up traffic in the left lane by going slow. The driver of the car in the right lane was holding up a sign in their window that read, "Get out of the fast lane, moron!" Sometimes, I wish I had that sign. Maybe I should make one! Ha! My pet peeve really boils down to people who ignore the rules of the road. If you don't plan on going the speed limit, then please DO NOT drive in the left lane. Kindly, get over into the right lane and stay there. Secondly, if you are not a multi-tasker, for the safety and sanity of others, DO NOT talk on your cell phone. I can't tell you how many people have almost caused me to get into a wreck because they were on their cell phone. It especially annoys me to be on the interstate and have to pass you because you are talking on your phone. I set my cruise control to a speed somewhere in between 75-80 and I really hate having to put on my brakes because you are an idiot. My blood really gets to boiling when 10 minutes down the road, you ride my bumper and then pass me, only for me have to pass you AGAIN a few minutes later because you are still on your stupid cell phone and can't keep an even speed and talk at the same time. I hate to say this, but most of the time it's a woman. I could keep going on and on about all the things dumb drivers do to get me really annoyed but it would take me several posts. People, just use your brain and pay attention while driving because you will end up killing someone if you don't!

Secondly, I really get annoyed when people who I don't know at all or barely know give me their unsolicited advise or opinion. The worst time in a woman's life for this is when they are pregnant. Before I get started on this one, let me be clear, I am not pregnant. I only wish! When you are pregnant, you become a target for this type of behavior. Majority of people you come across will have some knowledge of pregnancy or some opinion that they feel is important enough to share with a mere stranger. Most people mean well but every woman is different, every pregnancy is different. Just because you are a parent doesn't make you an all-knowing, expert on every one else's pregnancy and children. If you are a close friend or family member, your opinions and knowledge will probably be asked for and welcomed. If you barely know the person, keep your comments to yourself unless asked. This is not limited to pregnancy though. I recently had an acquaintance, someone I BARELY know, give me some very unsolicited bit of "wisdom". Most of you know that I have struggled with my weight for a while now and that I've made some very big lifestyle changes this year. I am so close to my first weight loss goal of 30 pounds down that I can almost taste it. :) Anyway, I had a conversation with someone that I felt comfortable talking about my journey with and apparently this acquaintance listened in. Really, that's fine. If you are having a conversation near me in a normal voice, chances are, I'm listening in too. Later when more people were around, she made a couple of comments to me, regarding health and food. OK, fine. I'll give her that. I had the conversation in her hearing range and sometimes people just can't help themselves. But I draw a line when you make a direct comment about what I am eating or drinking and my weight when I don't know you! I make calculated decisions concerning what I eat or drink. I only eat or drink something if I really want it and I've made allowances for it. She doesn't know me, she doesn't know my journey, and she should have minded her own business. Please, if you don't know someone, keep your advice and opinions to yourself, unless you are asked for it.

Thirdly and lastly (not my last pet peeve but the last one for this post), I am so tired of seeing adults who still act like teenagers. GROW UP! Willy Wonka said, "A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." A LITTLE, NOW and THEN! Nonsense should not characterize your life. It's the mama's that really get my blood boiling. I don't care if you are married or single, but if you have a child, please STOP going out getting drunk and wasted every weekend, leaving your child with your family or a babysitter. Grow up and raise your child. And for the love of Pete, if you are doing it, stop posting your wasted pictures on Facebook. Nobody wants to see that. No matter how cool or hot you think you look, you don't! Set a good example for your kids. If you have a kid you should stop acting like a kid yourself!

OK. That's enough ranting for today. I hope I didn't offend anyone but then again, I warned you from the beginning.

1 comment:

  1. 1) I agree completely on the bad drivers.

    2) a very sweet lady (at church) recently told me that I could lose the rest of my weight easily if I drank a cup of buttermilk every day. Um. I think I've lost 100 pounds sans buttermilk, and I'm going to keep doing this the healthy way but THANKS for thinking of me!

    People crack me up...just remember the intention is probably pure and not meant to be taken the wrong way...and when you and I are old we will be that much less annoying! lol

    Hugs,
    Clara

    ReplyDelete