Sunday, January 3, 2010

Staring at the Blank Page Before Me...

Happy 2010!!!

To me, a new year represents a new start, a blank page to write on. Every new year countless numbers of people make resolutions, including myself. These resolutions are usually things we want to do or change about ourselves that we rarely ever accomplish. For the last several years, losing weight has been on the top of mine. And every year, I start and stop a new diet. Several times within the year, in fact. I may lose some weight but no lifestyle change really takes place. Somewhere along the way, I lose the will power and resolve. Another resolution from a few years back was to learn to drive a stick. And if you know me, you know that I still can't!

So this year, I didn't openly declare any resolutions. But there are a few things that I have yet to accomplish and I'm hoping 2010 is the year. Still number one on my list is to lose the weight I have gained over the past 7 years. Sometimes I look in the mirror and barely recognize myself. Other days, I really don't care. But I need to work on myself. For the sake of me and my family. I am hoping to start the Couch to 5K training tomorrow. It's a training program for beginner runners to get up off the couch and be able to run a 5k at the end of three months. I just hope my sciatic nerve will let me. It's been bothering me for days now. But not just running, I hope to train my body to want healthy foods not the fatty stuff I'm used to eating. I'm looking forward to not just losing weight but feeling better too.

There are a few other things on my list but I don't want to bore you! So as I embark on a new year, I also like to reflect back on the year past. To look back at the good, evaluate the bad, and learn from the mistakes along the way. Here a few highlights from 2009:

*Became a SAHM (stay-at-home mom) in January. I lost my job end of December 08 and couldn't find another due to the terrible economy.

*Was in Graceville for three weeks waiting on the arrival of my niece.

*Marlee Brooke Strickland was FINALLY born on February 2, 2009! :)

*In February my husband was voted in as Music Minister/Assoc. Pastor of Five Points Baptist Church in Fernandina Beach, thus solidifying my SAHM status!

*March and April were pretty run of the mill. My parents visited the end of March/first of April.

*In May, Abigail was dedicated to the Lord on Mother's day.

*In June, Ryan went to a music conference in Tennessee and Abigail and I visited with my parents in Graceville again for about a week.

*Around the end of June, I began working as the interim youth minister for Five Points.

*We had our annual 4th of July cookout but it was the first year in several that we didn't host extended family and friends for the week.

*The end of July through the first of August my cousin Courtney came and stayed. She ended up staying almost a month. My grandmother came too for the first two weeks.

*In September, Ryan took his vacation and we dropped Abigail off with my parents and drove to Greensboro, GA and stayed at The Ritz Carlton Lodge for a few days.

*Ryan's brother Jonathan got married on September 25th to Mellissa Christian. Abigail was a flower girl and Ryan was a groomsman. It was one of the most beautiful weddings I've ever been to. Beautiful beach wedding.

*Abigail dressed up like Dora from the episode Dora saves the Mermaid Princess for Halloween and we took her to the Bethlehem Marketplace at Springhill Baptist Church.

*In November our church had our Family Fest where I won third place in the chili cook off, beating out Ryan! :)

*Abigail celebrated her 2nd birthday on November 21, 2009. She had a Dora and Friends birthday party.

*We celebrated Thanksgiving in Claxton with family and friends.

*December was super busy due to Christmas. Our family ended up with a nasty stomach bug the first week in December thus causing us to cancel the youth Christmas party. The second weekend was the church party. The third weekend we had a scrimmage softball game.

*Ryan and I hosted a Christmas Eve get together for the second year. Mostly his family came for finger foods and fellowship.

*Ryan had to work Christmas Eve night and Christmas night so Christmas day was spent in a haze of sleepiness with naps in between presents and lunch. We read the Christmas story and opened presents with Abigail first thing. Then we went to his parents house for a pancake breakfast and more presents. My parents got into town after this. We went to his Mimi and Granddaddy's house for lunch. He napped for a while then exchanged presents with my parents. We had an awesome Christmas!

*My parents stayed until the following Wednesday. Abigail had lots of fun with her Nana and Papa and was really upset when they left.

*New Years Eve was spent with the youth at church playing all sorts of games followed by some praise and worship and a challenge for the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment