Sunday, August 28, 2011

Ready, Set, Cleanse???

I FINALLY made it back home to Slidell, Louisiana on Friday afternoon after a three week long vacation from reality! We first went and visited Ryan's family and our sweet nephew in Fernandina Beach, Florida. While we were there Ryan's dad offered Ryan a trade...Ryan's truck for the used Thunderbird his dad had recently purchased. Of course Ryan took the trade because the car was in way better shape and had less miles than his truck. So, on our way back to Louisiana Ryan decided that Abigail and I should spend some quality time with my parent's especially since I didn't have a job. I was not going to argue with that! :) Ryan wasn't able to get more time off to head back to Florida to trade vehicles with his dad for almost two weeks. Thus, the three week long vacation. Abigail and I had a great time visiting with my family. I was even able to get a run in with my friend  Clara. But, three weeks is a long time to be away from home, my husband (technically only two weeks), and my life and routine. And if you've read my last couple of blogs you know how I desperately need my routine.

While I was away I did really well with my eating and exercising. I can look back on the last three weeks and see how far I've really come. In the past, a vacation meant that no rules applied. I'm sure you've heard people say things like, "calories don't count on your birthday!" Talk about wishful thinking! I sort of had that mentality when it came to vacation time. Basically it was a free for all when it came to eating and lack of exercise. I mean, hadn't I earned the right to veg out and be unaccountable for my actions? I can see now how idiotic that statement is but when you're struggling with an addiction to food any excuse will do. It's all about justifying your actions and making yourself guilt free. Only the guilt still came, as uninvited as it was, only it came after the vacation was over and you couldn't button the shorts that had fit you just fine when you left home. It came when you resolved again, for the 52nd Monday in a row, to go on a "diet" and lose weight. But this time was different. While I did allow myself a few indulgences, I equally ate well and exercised. I did not exercise as often as I do at home but at least twice a week while I was gone. That my friends, is what I call a new lifestyle. This isn't some fad diet that I'm on. It isn't some quick fix. It's a lifestyle and it's a process.

So here I am, ready to face another Monday. But this time, I feel no guilt, no shame, no self-loathing. I feel grateful, strong, empowered, and healthy. I still have a LONG way to go but I'm not in a hurry. However, it is time to kick it up a notch and really get into weight-loss mode. I still want to meet my first weight loss goal of 30 lbs down by September. I only have 10 to go. So here's my plan:

1. Do a healthy cleanse - this one comes from a health magazine and instead of fasting and taking weird pills, everything is done by food. My friend Clara tried it a few months back and it really worked for her. The plan claims to help you lose five pounds in five days. I'm hoping it will work that well for me. Here is the gist of plan; drink a banana smoothie for breakfast, have a salad for lunch, Greek yogurt parfait for snack, and a black bean, avocado, brown rice and chicken wrap for supper. All the while consuming up to two quarts of green tea a day. The recipes for everything sounds super yummy and I bought all the ingredients for the week on Saturday when I went to the grocery store. You have to eat the same meals for all five days. I'm pretty excited to get started tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on how things go.

2. Kick up my exercising a notch or two - this will include 10K training and hitting the gym regularly for strength training.

3. Blog more regularly than I have been - I've been a little slack in my blogging over the last month but it really keeps me accountable and all of your comments are a huge encouragement and incentive to keep going.

I'm signing off now. About to meet the little girl that I am going to be sitting for. I also start my new job tomorrow on top of starting a cleanse so say a little prayer for me tomorrow if you remember!

Peace, Love, and Healthy Living,

Jessica


No comments:

Post a Comment