Thursday, January 31, 2013

Crock Pot Jalapeno Popper Chicken Chili

If it has the word jalapeno in it, I'm probably gonna try it. I love spicy food. Hot sauce is the condiment I couldn't live without. There are things I simply can't eat without hot sauce. Scrambled eggs for one. My uncle Rudy turned me on to that when I was a kid and I haven't been able to eat them plain since. That and salt and vinegar potato chips, which I rarely ever eat now.

So, when I stumbled upon this recipe for Jalapeno Popper Chicken Chili from Sweet Treats and More, I knew that I had to try it. However, I've been trying to fix meals in the crock pot as much as I can on Friday's. That way I don't have to worry about being in the kitchen when my hubby gets home from work or having to clean up a lot after we eat. This gives us the chance to really have some family time since his work week is usually crazy and we don't see that much of him. It gives us a good head start on the weekend. That's why I decided to throw it in the crock pot. Sure the taste might be a bit different if I had sauteed the peppers and onions. I also left out the bacon. I originally bought some turkey bacon to cook and crumble on top but I forgot about it and I thought it was great without it. You can make it however you want. Follow the recipe in the link above or do it like me and fix it and forget it!

Crock Pot Jalapeno Popper Chicken Chili

1 small onion, diced
5 jalapeno peppers, diced, seeds removed (leave some seeds for extra heat)
3 cloves of garlic, minced
salt and fresh ground black pepper
2 boneless skinless chicken breast
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp oregano
pinch of crushed red pepper
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1.5 cups chicken broth
1 can cannelloni or navy beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
8 oz cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat kind)
bacon optional

Spray crock pot with non-stick cooking spray. Place onion, peppers, and garlic in bottom. Place chicken breast on top. Top with remaining ingredients except bacon. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Shred chicken with fork. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve and enjoy.

You can top with cooked and crumbled bacon. We opted for a bit of shredded cheese on top and tortilla chips on the side.

I also shredded my chicken after 7 hours and then gave it a good stir and then let it cook the additional hour.


 PS. Mine looks a little thick because I used three chicken breasts and it was way too much meat!

Peace, Love, and Healthy Living,

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment