Monday, January 21, 2013

Ham and Cheese Quinoa Bites

Finally, here it is. The recipe you've all been waiting for. I can't take all the credit because I didn't come up with these babies but I did add a few things to make them a bit better, in my opinion. You can view the original recipe here. I found the recipe searching Pinterest as I know many of you do. The first time I made them, I followed the recipe exactly and took them to a church fellowship meal. Of course by the time the dinner happened, they were room temperature and I hadn't tried one straight out of the oven. They were good then but a bit on the bland side. I knew that I could add some more seasoning to them and they would be perfect. Plus, they are amazing when they are hot and they reheat in the oven really well. We are currently without a microwave so I'm not sure how they reheat in that.

So without further ado...



Ham and Cheese Quinoa Bites

Makes 28 mini cups

2 cups cooked quinoa...about 3/4 cup uncooked
2 eggs
2 egg whites
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1/2 cup diced ham (I used about half of a Smithfield ham steak)
1/4 cup chopped, fresh parsley
2 TBS Parmesan cheese
2 green onions, sliced
salt and pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
smoked paprika



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray mini muffin tin liberally with non-stick cooking spray. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Spoon mixture to the top of each cup. Bake for about 25-30 minutes until egg is done and edges are brown. Let cool 5 minutes before removing from tin (I can never wait that long. They are so good!).

I plan on making these again this week but this time for my meatless day. I haven't decided if I'm going the broccoli and cheese route or the spinach and feta route but I'll let you know how they turn out.

Enjoy!

Peace, Love, and Healthy Living,

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment