Thursday, June 2, 2011

C25K: Week 3

It's Thursday and do you know what that means?

I FINISHED week three of the Couch to 5K running plan today!

I constantly amaze myself (not in a conceited way). Or maybe I should say that I am amazed at what I can actually do. Last night at the gym I was in the Express Workout (circuit training) area. When we get there on Wednesday nights after church, that area is "coached" meaning that a trainer is in the area and keeps up with your time so you know when to start and stop. Basically you are doing each machine for a minute a piece for as many reps as you can do. Anyway, if you're not quite sure how to use the machine or if they think you can handle a little more weight than you're doing, they'll help you and let you know. They are also a good source of encouragement. Ryan and I do the circuit training at the same time so he's busy with what he's doing so it's nice to have someone else who motivates you to keep going or to do another rep. I have weak arms. They've always been weak and I have to work really hard for them to be strong and as you know, it's been a LONG time since I've worked on them. Unless you count, lifting and carrying Abigail! :) Back to last night...I was on my second round of CT when my arms just didn't want to go anymore. I was struggling to lift the weight and the trainer encouraged to me to push through it and do at least one more rep. And I did! He then said, "see, you're stronger than you think you are." It was a great encouragement and I thought about that again today as I was running. I am stronger than I think I am, otherwise I wouldn't be able to continue each week of C25K. I've already told you that I HATE running and always have. I like the IDEA of running but I don't actually like running. Until now. I'm not to the point where I can say that I LOVE running but I'm enjoying it more and more and I love the sense of accomplishment that I feel when I'm done with each set. It's a great feeling! So, if you are out there thinking about starting C25K or any sort of exercise program or if you just want to start out eating healthier...you can do it! Listen to me, YOU ARE STRONGER THAN YOU THINK YOU ARE!!!

Now, back to my week 3 of C25K....

I started out on Sunday morning, early. By the time I got dressed and got out the door it was about 6:15 a.m. Let me say this, I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON!!! People who know me well, know that it's not always wise to try and have a conversation with me first thing in the morning. I'm a bear! And the only time, I've ever successfully gotten up early in the morning to exercise was when I was in college and that was thanks to Rebekah Fries Phillips and my mom. And they both can attest to my dislike of mornings! :) But I knew that Ryan had to work on Sunday afternoon and that it would be better to get out there before it was hot. And while I love my running stroller, it does make the days run a little more difficult. So, I crawled out of bed and out the door. I've already told you how unsure I was. But I did it, two 90 second runs and two three minute runs!

Day two for me was on Tuesday. Same thing, I got up early and got my run in. Same thing is true for today, day three. I was out the door about 6:15.

There is no one waiting on me outside to exercise with them. My mom doesn't call me in the mornings and wake me up like she used to when I was still in college. She doesn't come knock on my door. Ryan only grunts when my alarm goes off in the morning. So, who gets me up? Who makes sure I get my run in before it's too hot and before Abigail wakes up and the baby I sit for arrives? I DO! Sometime, I still can't believe the changes that have taken place in my life this year. I want to say that I feel like a different person but truth is, I'm just getting back to feeling like the person I was before I put on all the weight. And I love seeing the changes in the mirror.

I've had several people over this past week tell me that they were starting the C25K plan and that I inspired them to do that! Wow! I never thought I'd see the day where I inspired someone to get active and get healthy! It feels incredible!

Peace, Love, and Happy Living,

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment