Thursday, September 22, 2011

My "Duh" Moment

September was supposed to be my month. In September, I was supposed to meet my first weight loss goal of 30 pounds down. Instead, September has been a month of setbacks.

I started off the month breaking my finger and having my arm in a sling for a week which resulted in no exercising and so-so eating. The next week my daughter ended up at Urgent Care and the ER due to a severe ear infection and a touch of bronchitis. And you guessed it...little exercise and just "OK" eating. During all of this you can toss in a tropical storm that dumped tons of rain in our area and I lost my job (after only two weeks). So for the better part of a month I've dealt with all of this and I noticed a common thread...lack of consistent exercise and too many poor eating choices.

While I did manage to get in some exercise and ate well a portion of the time, I was not consistent and dedicated like I have been. It's been a hard month. I have beat myself up for losing my momentum and my mojo. I've felt like I've let you all down by not having it all together. I've given advice that during this month, I didn't take myself. I gave myself excuse after excuse. I just couldn't figure out what was going on with me. But today I had a "Duh" moment. I give all the credit to my friend Clara. You all know how much of an inspiration she has been to me. I discovered her and her blog at just the right time in my life and I am thankful for that. I am so thankful that she shares her struggles and her triumphs because more often than not what she has gone through helps me in tremendous ways. Just like tonight.

I sat here staring at a blank blog post page. I had started and deleted an entry. I was tired of struggling and wanted to be back on the right track. I have so far to go in this journey and my health is still more important to me than a number on a scale but I needed to be reminded of that. I wasn't having any sort of epiphany about getting back on track while staring at the blank screen so I switched tabs on my computer and went over to Facebook and that's when I noticed Clara had posted a link to her new blog post. So of course I clicked the link to see what she had to say. And that's when I had my "Duh" moment. She made a comment about how when she was consistent with her exercise her eating was right on track but when she wasn't she often made poor food choices. You can read her post in more detail here

It all made more sense to me. I can look back and pinpoint that I started making more and more poor food choices when my activity level decreased. I allowed my circumstances to get in the way of my health instead of making my health a priority and doing whatever it took to ensure that my body was getting the exercise and nutrients it needed. I have felt more sluggish, tired, crabby, etc this month than I have felt in a while and I don't like it. 

So, what am I going to do about it? Well, I'm going to be more consistent in exercise and activity and I'm going to make it a priority. While I'm doing that, I'm going to watch my food choices get back to where it was before, if not even better because I am positive that the two are connected. 

And tomorrow, at 9:00 AM I am going to get my money's worth at the gym. I'm going to take a beginner's spin class. I've been wanting to do this for a long time but no excuses, I'm doing it tomorrow. Be on the lookout for a post all about it!

Peace, Love, and Healthy Living,

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment