Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cooking My Way: A Savory Snack

Chips, Little Debbie's, cookies, and movie-style popcorn would have topped my list of favorite snacks last year. This year, popcorn still makes the list but I like the natural kind or the kind you pop yourself. Chips still make the list occasionally but it's usually a few tortilla chips with salsa.

These days my snack list includes: raw almonds, string cheese, fruit, veggies, Greek yogurt, and smoothies. I do confess that I love to dip my veggies. I'm not as bad as I used to be. I only dip a little now. Mostly it's ranch dressing. Sometimes it's guacamole if I have some left over when we make burgers. But my new favorite thing to dip them in is hummus. I've bought a couple different kinds from the grocery store but my favorite so far has been the homemade kind dad and I made for the fourth of July.

This recipe comes from Jillian Michaels The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook. If you are looking for a source of good information and yummy recipes, this is your book. Unlike a lot of other "healthy" cookbooks out there, this one is filled with things you would normally eat, only made healthier. There are a few things that you may not of heard of but for the most part it's simple ingredients and straightforward recipes.

Hummus (Jillian Michaels The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook Page 232)

1 (15-ounce) can no-sodium chickpeas
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, or to taste
3 tablespoons tahini (this is sesame seed paste - I know you can find it at Publix and Whole Foods)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, for garnish
1/8 teaspoon sumac or sweet, hot, or smoked paprika, for garnish (I use smoked paprika)

Place a strainer over a bowl and drain the chickpeas; reserve 1/4 cup of the captured liquid.

In the work bowl of a food processor, place the lemon juice, tahini, garlic and salt. Process until combined. Add the drained chickpeas and the reserved liquid. Process until very smooth, scraping down the sides of the work bowl once or twice or as needed. Taste and add more lemon juice if desired. (The hummus can be stored in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.)

For a single snack, place 2 tablespoons of the hummus in a small bowl. Drizzle with 1/8 teaspoon olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of paprika over it. Serve with three pita chips.

To serve a crowd, transfer the hummus to a small serving bowl. If desired, use the back of a spoon to make a shallow well in the surface of the hummus; pour in the olive oil. Sprinkle the top with sumac (or paprika). Serve with pita chips.


Above is a picture of the dips and things we made for the 4th. The hummus of course is in the small bowl in the middle of the carrots and celery.

OK...so she uses pita chips to dip in her hummus. While I am sure that is super tasty and I'll probably get around to trying it soon, I love to dip my vegetables in it. My favorites are carrots and celery.

So there you have it. Two recipes on Recipe Wednesday. One a sweet treat and the other a savory snack! Enjoy!

Peace, Love, and Healthy Living,

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment