Thursday, May 26, 2011

Cooking My Way: Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas with Black Bean and Corn Quinoa

Over in the land of Facebook, many of you have asked for the recipe for the enchiladas I made for lunch today. A friend suggested that I share recipes on my blog which sounded like a good plan to me. I hope those of you who visit my blog for recipes will stay awhile and read other posts. Maybe you'll even become a follower. I just love seeing the number of followers go up. I'm a dork, I know!

But before I share the recipe I must offer up a disclaimer. While, I've entitled this post and future recipe posts to come, "Cooking My Way," I am in NO WAY suggesting that these recipes are my own. Most of them have been handed down from my grandparents or other family members, taken from the internet or cookbooks, or passed along from friends. This particular recipe for the enchiladas was taken from Clara's blog. You can always tweek these recipes to your liking. That's what I love about cooking. You can take almost any recipe and make it your own and make it healthier!!! So no matter where the recipe comes from you can cook it your way! :)

Here we go...

Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas

3 boneless, skinless chicken breast (I like to buy harvest farms,organic)
1 can of plain tomato sauce
1/2 onion, diced
1 packet of taco seasoning

Place above ingredients in crockpot on low for at least four hours.

2 cups of fresh spinach, shredded or chopped (I just tear it with my hands)
6-8 whole wheat tortillas (it took all 8 for what I had in the crockpot)
1 can of green enchilada sauce (I used the red kind because Walmart was out when I went grocery shopping)
1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese (I used mild cheddar made from 2% milk and I actually used less than a cup, so it would be a little healthier.)
light sour cream

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease pan.
Shred chicken in crockpot, add the shredded spinach. Mix well. Spoon mixture into tortilla, roll up, place in pan seam side down. Pour can of enchilada sauce over top. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover. Bake in oven for  20-25 minutes. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.

Black Bean and Corn Quinoa
2 cups of water or chicken stock (I prefer reduced sodium chicken stock because it adds more flavor. However, today I was out so I used water and put in a chicken bullion cube.)
1 cup of quinoa
1 small can of nibblet corn, drained
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
Salsa

Combine all ingredients except salsa in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and let cook 10-15 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Stir in desired amount of salsa.

In case you don't know what quinoa is, click on the link in the recipe name. Also, here is a picture of what quinoa looks like before you cook it.



Hope you enjoyed the Cooking My Way post. Let me know if you try any of my recipes and if you liked them or how you changed them to suit you. Stay tuned for more.

Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment